Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4+ hours
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed and drained (Not quick-cooking or instant)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 (14.5 oz.) cans low-sodium chicken broth
4 cups (1 pound) broccoli florets
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place chopped onion and rinsed rice in slow cooker, then place chicken on top.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, then add garlic powder and thyme.
- Pour chicken broth over chicken onion rice mixture, making sure to submerge rice so it cooks evenly.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until rice has absorbed almost all liquid and chicken is cooked through.
- Optional: transfer chicken to a cutting surface and shred. Return to slow cooker.
- Place broccoli in a microwaveable bowl along with 1 inch of water. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure to seal tightly, and microwave for 4-5 minutes, or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Stir broccoli into chicken rice mixture.
- Add sour cream and parmesan cheese to slow cooker and stir until incorporated. Top with cheddar cheese, then stir until combined.
- Transfer to serving bowls and serve hot.