If you want the ultimate savory breakfast, slather a
Prep Time 5 mins
Cook Time 10 mins
Total Time 15 mins
- 1 lb chorizo sausage (casing removed)
- 1/4 cup fat drippings
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 12 freshly baked biscuits (see link in notes for recipe)
- Brown chorizo in a saute pan until cooked through and fat has rendered out.
- Remove chorizo from skillet, reserving 1/4 cup of fat drippings in the pan. Turn off heat to allow pan to cool slightly.
- Sprinkle flour in the pan and whisk continually while cooking on medium heat to prevent burning. Cook for 5 minutes (this eliminates the raw flour taste).
- Slowly add milk to flour mixture, stirring as it is added to prevent clumps.
- Sprinkle in cheese in batches while continuing to stir.
- Add sausage back to the skillet and continue cooking until gravy has thickened, then add hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on top of freshly baked biscuits.