Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Casserole is quick and EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER for whole family.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 1 ½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts-thawed (or 2 ½ –3 cups shredded cooked chicken)
- 2 ½ cups enchilada sauce
- 3–4 cups shredded cheese (I used combo of Mozzarella and Cheddar cheese)
- 1 small can refried beans
- 8 large corn tortillas
- Place enchilada sauce in a deep skillet and heat until bubbly. Cut chicken breast lengthwise in about ½ inch thick slices, season with salt and pepper to taste and place in enchilada sauce. Cover and cook on medium heat until it cooked trough (it takes about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove the chicken from enchilada sauce and set aside to cool. Using two forks shred the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- In a large baking dish spread about 4-5 Tbsp. enchilada sauce to cover the bottom. Arrange tortillas to cover the bottom (place 2 tortillas and use smaller pieces of tortilla, like quarters of the circle to cover the bottom).
- Gently spread ½ can refried beans over tortillas.
- Scatter about 1/3 od shredded chicken over beans.
- Pour 1/3 of remaining enchilada sauce over chicken and spread with a spoon.
- Top with 1/3 of shredded cheese.
- Than repeat: 2 tortillas, remaining refried beans, ½ of remaining shredded chicken, ½ of remaining sauce and ½ of remaining cheese.
- Finally, 3rd layer: 2 tortillas, remaining shredded chicken, remaining sauce and cheese.
- Bake about 45 minutes. If the top browns too much, tent the top with aluminum foil.
- Top with sliced green onion and cool slightly before serving (at least 15-20 minutes) or it will be a huge mess (it’s very runny if you slice and serve immediately after baking).