1 (16 oz) pkg 15 bean soup
2 Tbs oil
1 large onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
8-9 cups water
1 meaty ham bone + 1 cup diced ham
1 Tbs Cajun seasoning (like Tony Chachere’s)
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
2 bay leaves
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
1 (16 oz) link sausage (smoked, polish, andouille), sliced
- Soak your beans in bowl of water overnight.
- In large stock pot saute your onion and pepper in oil until tender.
- Add in your water, ham bone, ham and beans and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 5 minutes then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir in your cajun seasoning, italian seasoning, bay leaves, tomato sauce and green chiles.
- Let simmer uncovered for about 3-3 1/2 hours, at that time, add your sliced sausage.
- Heat for about another 30 minutes and remove your ham bone making sure to get all the meat off of the bone as well as removing your bay leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
If your soup thickens up after cooling, add about 1/2 cup water at a time while heating up to reach desired consistency,