Servings: 10-12 servings
1 heaping cup ham; diced in 3/4″ cubes
2 cups spinach; chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder or minced garlic
large pinch cayenne
2 cups shredded hash browns (I used frozen)
8 cups bread; diced in 3/4″ cubes
1/4 cup green onions; chopped
12 large eggs (I used 8 jumbo eggs)
2 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Swiss and cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray bundt pan heavily with cooking spray or grease very well with shortening.
- Sauté spinach in a drizzle of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat until wilted. Season with salt, pepper and minced or granulated garlic. Set aside for several minutes to cool.
- In same skillet fry the hash browns in a drizzle of oil until lightly browned and beginning to crisp up. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- In the greased bundt pan layer half of the diced bread. Layer diced ham, green onions, spinach, hash browns and one cup of shredded cheese. Cover with remaining bread cubes.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, milk, cream, salt, pepper, ground mustard and cayenne until well mixed. Pour over contents of bundt pan, making sure the top is thoroughly wet. Press down lightly with your fingers to settle contents in the egg mixture. Let stand on counter for 30 minutes to soak up the liquid.
- Layer with final cup of cheese and bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center shows eggs have set and are not runny.
- To remove from bundt pan: run a knife around the outside and inside edges. Place inverted plate on top of bundt. Flip.
- Microwaves and freezes well.
- You could use bacon or sausage instead of ham. Brown them and chop into smaller pieces before layering in bundt pan.
- Spinach can be omitted. Add any vegetables you prefer: broccoli, diced bell peppers, shredded brussels sprouts, diced tomatoes, etc.
- You could substitute gluten free bread cut into cubes if necessary.