1 London Broil roast, trimmed of fat and cut in 1-1.5 inch cubes
1 tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp hot Hungarian paprika
1/8 tsp ground thyme
1/8 tsp mustard powder
Salt, to taste
All-purpose flour as needed
1 cup beef stock
½ cup red wine
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
1 medium onion, large dice (I used a sweet Walla Walla)
1 lb. mushrooms, trimmed and quartered (I did ½ cremini, ½ white button)
Cornstarch and water slurry
- Trim and cube beef, and sprinkle with the 5 spices and salt to taste.
- Coat with flour and brown over high heat in the olive oil.
- Put in Instant Pot and pour in the wine, stock, and Worcestershire.
- Use Meat/Stew setting for 45 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking, clean and cut up mushrooms and dice the onion.
- When the time is nearly up, lightly brown the onion over med-high heat in some of the butter. They don’t need to be completely sautéed, but you want a little color on some of the edges and if the butter browns a little, that’s just more flavor.
- When the time is up, quick release and add the onions.
- Lightly brown the mushrooms over high heat, in a couple batches, in some of the butter. Again, you just want some color on them. Add to the IP and stir, judging the tenderness of the beef.
- Close the IP and set to Meat/Stew for 5 minutes; if the meat is still a bit stiff, set for 10 minutes or so, as you deem necessary.
- While it’s cooking. Mix a corn starch and water slurry (about 3 Tbs corn starch). When the time is up, quick release and stir in the slurry, a little at a time, until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Taste and add salt if necessary.