Cook Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/8 cup butter
2 pinches salt
2 cups fresh chopped rhubarb
4 cups berries of your choice, chopped to similar sizes
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
4 tablespoons preferred baking starch (cornstarch, tapioca starch, etc.)
2 teaspoons mixed lemon juice and zest
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the flour in a large bowl and add the butter, cut into small chunks. Add a pinch of salt and rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add just enough cold water to form a firm dough. Pull the dough together gently by hand on a floured surface before wrapping and chilling for at least half an hour.
- Roll out the bottom pie crust and use it to line a greased tin once the pastry has rested sufficiently. Save the other half of the pastry for the pie lid.
- Mix together the rhubarb, berries, sugar, starch, lemon and flavorings, including your extra pinch of salt.
- Combine it all thoroughly in a large bowl before pouring it into the prepared crust.
- Roll out your pie lid, ensuring that it covers the top generously. Place it on top of the pie and trim, crimp and seal the edges.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg to ensure a golden glaze. Make a small hole in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in a hot oven, around 425 degrees F, for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to around 375 degrees F and leave it until the pastry is golden brown, around 45 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool and serve with cream or ice cream for a real summer feel.