Time to prepare: 1 hour
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, salt, pepper & paprika
1 1/2 pounds stewing beef
2 tablespoons each vegetable oil & butter
2/3 cup low sodium beef broth
3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/2 cups mushrooms, halved
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1 carton McCormick Simply Better Gravy, beef flavor
2 teaspoons cornstarch
8 oz dry egg noodles
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour & seasonings. Set aside.
- Remove any fat from the beef and gently toss with the flour mixture to coat.
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Add the dredged beef chunks and brown until a crust forms on each side.
- In 9×13 inch pan combine beef, onions, mushrooms and beef broth Cover tightly with tin foil and bake for 2 hours or until beef is fork tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the sour cream, Simply Better Gravy and cornstarch in small bowl and set aside.
- Cook the egg noodles 2 minutes less than indicated on the package. Drain well.
- Remove the beef from the oven and turn the oven up to 350 degrees.
- Remove the thyme sprigs from the pan, stir in the egg noodles and the gravy mixture.
- Bake an additional 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Optional Crumb Topping: Combine 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter. Sprinkle over the casserole just before baking