½ head of cabbage, chopped
1 cup celery, diced
1 cup white or yellow onion, diced
1 cup carrots, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
and cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add celery, onions, bell peppers, and carrots.Saute until slightly tender.
- Stir in garlic.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
- Cook until cabbage is tender.
- Stir in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt (if using)
- Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.