Spice up your next healthy seafood dinner with this easy 5-Minute, 5-Ingredient Blackened Salmon! It’s a classic Southern favorite that’s crispy on the outside, moist and buttery on the inside, and loaded with zesty Cajun flavor!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 fillets
- 4 salmon fillets skin-on (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne omit or decrease for a mild flavor
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil
- Optional for serving: lemon wedges and fresh chopped herbs such as thyme, oregano, or parsley
- In a shallow bowl, mix together cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pat seasoning mixture onto the flesh side of each piece of salmon.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Place salmon, flesh-side down, in the hot oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, and then flip salmon with a spatula. Cook for about 5-6 more minutes, or until skin becomes crispy and fish flakes easily with a fork.
Cooking Just for Two? You can cut the ingredients in half and just cook 2 salmon fillets. The cooking process remains the same. If you prepare a full recipe of seasoning, just save the extra spice for another meal.