Total Time: 30 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Yield: 2 quarts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (2 turns around the pan)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves or 2 dried bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups good quality chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders, diced (the average weight of 1 package)
- 1⁄2 lb wide egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Place a large pot over moderate heat and add extra-virgin olive oil.
- Work close to the stove and add vegetables to the pot as you chop, in the order they are listed.
- Add bay leaves and season vegetables with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add stock to the pot and raise flame to bring liquid to a boil.
- Add diced chicken tenderloins, return soup to a boil, and reduce heat back to moderate.
- Cook chicken 2 minutes and add noodles.
- Cook soup an additional 6 minutes or until noodles are tender and remove soup from the heat.
- Stir in parsley and dill, remove bay leaves and serve.
- This is a thick soup.
- Add up to 2 cups of water if you like chicken soup with lots of broth.